Sunday, January 16, 2011

Big Blank Walls

So you have a big blank wall and you're not sure what to do with it. Welcome to my life.

I was recently told that January brings the biggest business for home decor stores. After taking down holiday decorations everyone seems to believe their home is now empty and needs a painting or silk plant.
I completely understand this feeling. In my parents home we have a very large stone fireplace and two years ago we built a portable mantle for it, just to display Christmas decorations and hang stockings. Come January, we'd take it down.. and then realize just how large and empty the stone fireplace looks. Ever since then we've been on the lookout for a equally large clock to hang on the stone.
The same thing is happening in my apartment right now. Almost as soon as we moved in I put up a little Christmas tree next to our television. Now that I've thrown out the tree, it's become very obvious that we have nothing on that wall and the roommate and I are debating what to do with it. We also have another large wall over our couch that needs... something.
I decided to do some research and I'll share my discoveries with you.
This will only be a small fraction of the options out there, but maybe one will work in your space.

Artwork - Art always seems to be the go-to wall cover. There's nothing wrong with that idea. It's tried and true. Find a large painting that suits your style, space and budget and live happily ever after together.





Frames - The other wall cover standard. There are a million options here as well. They could be filled with photos or paintings or certificates or anything else your heart desires. I would suggest either keeping all the frames similar, like the picture on the left, or completely different, like the one on the right. The goal is to make it look like it was planned and not just an accident.

Shelving - Shelves are great because they can hold almost anything. This is a nice way to combine frames and art and maybe books and a plant or two. There are tons of shelving styles out there to choose from ranging from very modern to very traditional. The key here is restraint. As you can see in this picture, just because there is space on the shelves doesn't mean it needs to be filled with something. Empty space speaks just as loudly as filled space.

This is where I'll start to get into the more unique options.


Vinyl Wall Stickers -  I personally love this new trend. They're so affordable, easily removable and transportable. There are countless options in all shapes and sizes and if you can't find the perfect graphic, there are companies that will create one just for you. Talk about unique!



Letters - Maybe you're a writer, or a reader, or just someone who loves the bold graphics of the alphabet. The letters could spell something, although I'm not a big fan of the self-help-esque "Live Laugh Love" trend going on now, or they could just be a collection of letters. 

Salvaged Doors, Windows and Shutters - While this option won't fit every style, when it does, it's a match made in heaven. Salvage yards and antique dealers always have a large selection of this kind of art (yes, in this case I consider them art). It might take a little effort to find the perfect piece and then clean it up, but it would be well worth it.


Collections - Maybe you have a collection of something worth showing off, like in the case of this picture, a few beautiful George Nelson clocks. (insert dreamy sigh.) However before showing off your prized collection of kitten plates like Umbridge from Harry Potter...  
...maybe it'd be best to get a few trusted opinions first. Just to be on the safe side.

Graffiti - If you're looking to make a bold, urban statement, I can think of no better way than a whole wall of graffiti. Again, this won't suit everyone's taste, but when it does, it would be magnificent. Finding a true graffiti artist might be a bit of a challenge since every kid with a can of spray paint thinks he's an urban Picasso but when you find one, like my friend Mike, they would do wonders with a blank wall.

Ceiling Medallions - I'm 85% sure that these beautiful yellow circles were intended to be ceiling medallions, plates that attach to the ceiling above lights or fans. They come in many shapes and sizes and can be painted to match any decor. This is turning an everyday object into art at its finest.


Animal Head - I couldn't help but include this one in my list. If you're stumped on how to redecorate your hunting lodge, look no further. An animal head is the clear way to go.


Maybe my roommate and I will eventually decide on what to put over our couch, but I don't think an animal head will be it.
This barely scratches the surface of wall decor and if you've got other interesting wall art ideas, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment