Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Viking Helmet: Crochet Pattern to Knit Pattern

I can think of almost nothing I'd rather do than knit. This isn't a joke. I'll stay up later than I mean to just to put one more row on a piece or I'll browse the internet for patterns on my lunch break. It's pretty serious, this relationship between knitting and me.
However, I have started cheating on knitting a little bit. I'm learning to crochet. (Don't tell my knitting needles...) I had to though! My dear friend Shannon is getting ready, any day now actually, to have a baby girl and when I found this pair of booties, I knew I had to learn to crochet, just to make them.
These above are a little better shaped than mine, shown below..

But I loved making them anyway. And I'm fairly certainly Shannon loved them too. They made their way into her maternity photo shoot! Lucky me. :)

So after surviving my first attempt at crocheting, I got gutsy and decided to try again, on this amazing pattern I found.
The pattern is available on Etsy here.

Well, after two or three or a hundred tries, I decided I was being too optimistic so early in my crocheting career and crocheting this hat wasn't going to happen.
Faithful knitting to the rescue. (Insert dramatic hero music here.)
This was my first attempt at converting a crochet pattern to a knit pattern. They aren't easily exchangeable, so I basically just applied the knit stitches I already know to create the look I wanted.

I am absurdly proud of the way it turned out.
I'm not sure how the band on the crochet pattern would've turned out, but ribbing is always a good band on a knit hat. And instead of crocheting popcorn, I used knit bobbles to create the rivets. I did end up crocheting the horns because those directions were easy enough to follow and it would've been harder to create a knit pattern for them. I used a decrease that I was already familiar with to create the crown.


All in all, my first try at knitting a crocheted piece was a success. While I should probably take away from this that knitting is my true talent and I should give up on crocheting, my mom would undoubtedly remind me that my first million or so attempts at knitting were complete failures, but I've just blocked them from my memory since getting better. I'm sure I have no idea what's she talking about. All of my knitting projects have been perfect since day one. :)

12 comments:

  1. Wow! I love it! I wish I knew how to knit more than just scarves! One day I will learn! ;) awesome job! You are truly talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Haley. Wow!!! I'm only one baby step beyond the knitted scarf myself, and am in awe of Not Martha's crochet to knit rendition of the Warrior Hat. I also enjoyed reading her humorous critique regarding her earlier pieces. I have to admit, I've attempted knitting some hats, they've even turned out looking like hats. Only problem is, none of them fit anybody. LOL

      Delete
  2. What a nice compliment! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you post the knit pattern, it's exactly what I'm looking for (to knit for my son.)
    You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wanted to knit this as well! can you post your pattern? I'll still have to find a way to do the horns but perhaps a crafty croche friend can do them for me hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. This s darling! I wsh I could do this but then I would have to stop all the other hobbies I love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so fantastic, how can I make that myself.

    Would most defiantly pay for that, ever thought of selling them...

    Caz

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this and would really like the pattern. I make fancy hats to sell them and I'm always looking for hats for men and boys. Please put the pattern up for sale. Pretty please with cherries on top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you post a link to where you found the bootie pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you send me your pattern for the viking helmet? I have been going crazy trying to figure out how I am going to do this as I can't crochet. Also, your horns are better than a lot of other people's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Od love the Bootie pattern, its listed in ravelry under free patterns but theres no link on the page. Please let me know if you could share the baby Bernat patter? Thankyou!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello
    I've been trying to work out how to convert this crochet pattern to a knitting pattern. and then I found your blog!! Would you be so kind as to share your knitting pattern with me please?
    rondedoudous@orange.fr
    thanks if you can, well done anyway for your work!!

    ReplyDelete