Sunday, December 4, 2011

My Kind of Christmas Wreath

A few years back when Starbucks displayed their yarn ball wreaths at Christmas, I fell in love.
Christmas and yarn? My perfect combination.
So this year, I decided to make my own.


Luckily, I had a ton of reds, greens and creams in my yarn stash that were just waiting for this project. I bought a bunch of little styrofoam balls in 1 1/2", 2" and 2 1/2". I've read you could also just ball up tin foil or paper towels or something similar.

I used a needle to poke the yarn down into the ball to hold it in place.


And then I wrapped the ball until the styrofoam was completely covered.


Each ball took less than 5 minutes. So fast and easy.

I made a ton of balls in every shade of red and green I had.
I chose a 12" wreath form... It just seemed like a good size.
I did a couple of practice layouts before I started attaching the balls to the wreath.


I tied the largest balls to the wreath frame with more yarn, but the smaller ones I hot-glued so I could get them exactly where I wanted and hold everything in place. (Wearing my pink pajamas helps the creative process... I swear.)
I hung it over my television and added a big knitted bow. I'm so ready for Christmas now. :)

1 comment: