Thursday, January 5, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Stoup

That is not a typo, I meant to say Stoup.
Any fan of Rachael Ray will be able to tell you exactly what a Stoup is: it's halfway between a stew and a soup. And it's one delicious meal.
In college, lunch at Atlanta Bread Company used to be a weekly thing for my friend Rachel and me, and I'd always order their chicken enchilada soup. One day I come to find out they've stopped making it.. and what a sad day that was. The only possible way to continue living was to find a recipe and make it myself. I did some research and tested out some recipes and settled on this one that I love. It probably bears no resemblance to the original soup recipe by this point, but I don't care. This is good stoup.

Ingredients are, as usual, pretty simple. One cup each of chicken broth, cream of chicken soup and enchilada sauce (mild or medium, your choice. I go medium because I'm not a wuss.) Then cooked, shredded chicken, black beans, corn, onion and jalapenos, all in amounts to your liking. I add a lot of each of them which is probably why my soup is a stoup.

After you've chopped up the onions and jalapenos, sweat them a little in some oil. The original recipe called for them to be cooked for a while to be fairly soft, if I remember correctly, but I like the taste and texture of the raw veggies, so I typically only cook them for a few minutes.
Then add in all the liquids: the broth, the cream of chicken and the enchilada sauce. The cream of chicken soup will be thick, so let it cook a while to thin out and blend into the soup before adding the rest of the ingredients.


Finally add the chicken, the corn and the black beans. I never measure these ingredients, I just keep adding them to the pot until it looks good, but it's usually a few handfuls of each.
Then just let it cook on medium for 15 to 20 minutes to let all the flavors blend, stirring occasionally.

This makes a lot of stoup, so I'll eat a bowl (or two) and then portion the rest into containers and pop them in the fridge. They rarely last more than a day or two.

Best served with tortilla chips (hint of lime is my favorite) and a BIG margarita. Mmm.

Chicken Enchilada Stoup
1 large can of chicken (or any cooked, shredded chicken of an equal amount)
1 can of black beans, drained
1 small can of corn, drained
1 can of chicken enchilada sauce (mild or medium)
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup of chicken broth
1/2 white onion, diced
3 jalapenos, seeded and diced

1. Sweat the onions and jalapenos in oil until they've reached a tenderness you prefer.
2. Add the enchilada sauce, cream of chicken soup and chicken broth and cook on medium, stirring until the cream of chicken soup has thinned out.
3. Add chicken, black beans and corn to taste.
4. Simmer the stoup, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until flavors have blended.
5. Serve with chips and enjoy. :)

PS. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment