Thursday, June 14, 2012

Yarn Flag

Happy 50th Blog Post!
...and Happy Flag Day!

I finished today's project about a week ago and was procrastinating posting it, when I realized today was Flag Day and it just seemed like serendipity.

50th post, 50 states. Happy coincidence? Yes.
I've posted about several different holiday decorations, but I wanted something to hang over the television for the times in between holidays. When I saw this flag, I fell in love. Yarn and America? Perfect.
The flag in that tutorial was much too large for my space and I wanted something a little less traditional. So I switched out the red yarn for brown yarn. I don't have anything red in my living room, so it would have been a little loud.

I already had all the yarn I needed in my stash. (Yay for using up the stash!) I got four 8x10 canvases on sale from Michaels. I liked how the original had three long canvases, but they didn't sell them smaller than 12x24 and that's much too large for me. Kitty helped, as ALWAYS.

Using hot glue, I glued the yarn to the top back corner of the canvas.

I wrapped and wrapped and wrapped some more until I covered the whole canvas in navy.

And a little more hot glue finished the navy piece.

To start the striped pieces, I decided to cut back to only 4 stripes per canvas: two cream and two brown. Since it's an 8" tall canvas, it easily divided into 2" stripes. I drew lines across the canvas so I knew where to switch colors.

Following the same glue, wrap, glue pattern as before, I started with cream and then switched to brown.

After finishing one, I made 3 more.

FLAG!
I struggled a little bit with how to hold it together and hang it, but this is another time it's handy having my brother around. He came up with an idea in 30 seconds.

He flipped it over and attached all the canvases together using tongue depressors and thumb tacks. The tongue depressors created a ledge I could hang from the hook on the wall.

I LOVE the way the flag turned out and I even got the seal of approval from my brother, which is saying something. Even he knows you can't hate on America. :)

Here's to 50 posts on the blog and 235 years of the most beautiful flag in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment