Sunday, April 1, 2012

Easter Wreath

Easter is such a refreshing holiday. It symbolizes hope and renewal, both spiritually and seasonally. After a long, albeit mild, wonderful winter here in Atlanta, even I'm enjoying the change. I've put away my heating blanket and my winter coats. I've planted my garden out on the balcony. I'm welcoming spring with open arms. And of course, decorating for it.

While rummaging around on Pinterest, I found this great wreath DIY courtesy of Courtney at A Diamond In The Stuff:


I knew it would be perfect for over my tv, so I made my own to match my decor.

I started out with many of the same materials: a wooden frame with its mat, a grass square, easter eggs, a butterfly and nest, paint and hot glue.

This is where I deviated though. I took the mat and colored it green then punched holes around it. I popped off each little grass cluster and shoved them through the holes.

I left a little section empty so I could attach a ribbon. I used almost all of the grass clusters.

I gave the rest to Emmy who plays with them nonstop all day.


I took my frame, sanded it a little, cleaned it up and painted it a pretty shade of lavender. I liked the blue in Courtney's frame, but my walls are blue, so I needed something else.

I found some ribbon in my stash that I thought looked Easter-y and tied it to the grass mat and then to the frame, so the grass hangs in the middle.

I hot-glued on some miniature glitter eggs I found 8 for .99 at Michael's. I love glitter.

I hung it over my tv and it brings a little Easter cheer to my apartment. I hung the grass off-kilter, much to the dismay of my brother, but I like it.
I had a butterfly, a little nest, and some much larger glitter eggs in the beginning, but I decided I liked mine better without those. Restraint and all that. Between the grass, the glitter eggs and the ribbon, there was enough going on.


And for a little garden update:

Back Row, l to r: beefsteak tomato, hybrid tomatoes in the long box, strawberries and cherry tomatoes.
Front Row, l to r: jalapenos, bell peppers, forget-me-nots (the only flowers in the bunch), hybrid tomatoes, bell peppers, onions (which aren't doing very well) and more jalapenos.

The three large round pots in the back contain new plants I purchased instead of growing from seed, which is why they are so much larger.
Most of the seedlings survived the transplants pretty well. I've only lost a few so far. I know they'll need to be transplanted again, but I need to wait for them to get larger and stronger.
I'm hoping to add a lime tree or bush to the balcony soon, so we'll see how that goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment